Sunday, January 30, 2005

Christmas is long gone, but I remember it well

Getting lost in the aisles

turning this way and that way
it stopped being funny
as the seasons stopped caring
no pride no respect, just phony
after money
Christmas in style
vanished some time ago
like religion has ceased, for us on the go
a glimmering t.v. shouts at us “no”
down into the aisles
we find nothing, and less about “ho”
a few want to save
the willing and guess
about the next generation
pilling, swilling and sex
to come right back to aisle one
with the frown deeply planted
fatten our wallets
and become the hunted
the season is over
yet some make us smile
the cynics, the disheartened
the disenchanted fragile, pause
and notice, then do all they know
to stick it in your face in some
neatly packaged show
I’m dysfunctional, I admit it
I silence the decades
though the years don't slow
I don’t feel the need
to play the game, to make it a habit
beat you by lying and stealing
to fatten a wallet
I thought the aisles receded and hid
as for living in peace, I made a bid
writing in silence and through it for hours
a bullhorn blares out with a mobile shout
bringing the aisles were the powers that scour
how did they know that I wanted
a bedroom suite, just for show
to decorate my invisible home
pretend like the others
then come right back to aisle one
where I reunite with the mothers

No comments: